Ray met his favorite barber Tommy before he met me. Since he likes to keep it short, he saw him often. The shop is a tiny building in the middle of town that seems to have been a house in a prior life. When Seiler was a baby we took him to watch Daddy get his hair cut to prepare him for his first cut, which we successfully video taped. We did the same for Landen, but he always cried. I love bowl cuts, and am very pleased that my sons' hair lays straight. Our 2007 New Years Resolution was to stop paying for all these hair cuts. Tommy retired anyway. Ray shaves his now, which I like better than the crew cut, and I am proud to be able to cut the boys' hair. Of course my jobs are not perfect, but they are somewhat uncommon and we have received compliments on them :D I just bought a new pair of scissors Thursday, and gave Cy & Lan a much needed cut yesterday on my front porch. I watch my handy work throughout the day and consider improvements.
When Ray met me my hair was long, but I wanted to be bald when pregnant. I admire bald women because it proves that they are not superficial. I never committed, but I got a pixie cut and highlights when Seiler was an infant. It was too difficult and costly to keep up, so I tried to trim it myself, which was a disaster. The color was so flat, I started dying it myself too. I shutter at the pictures. I went for the easy way out - grow it out and forget about it.
My hair was past my shoulder when Ray suggested I get a perm. It didn't turn out the way he imagined, so I grew that out too. Near the end of that process I had it chopped at my chin, which felt good and clean. Au naturale. After a day of underwater swimming last summer, I combed through my shoulder length hair, horrified to see broken pieces falling all around me. Duh. Turns out chlorine dries out hair which makes it more susceptible to damage. I learned this from a beautician appointment shortly following this incident. That was the last time I had my hair trimmed professionally. Mostly because she was acting very unprofessional in a dramatic way, but it's ok. I can trim my split ends by myself because my hair is long enough to pull into view.
This summer I try to keep my hair dry, which is impossible when going down water slides. (Did I mention we have season passes to the water park?) I also started taking hair vitamins, switched to a boar bristle brush, and a silky pillow case to reduce friction frizz. More tips welcome. I am trying to grow healthy hair, and I think it's safe to reveal that I am trying to grow it as long as I can. Just to see how long I can make it. It's my long term goal. I wonder if I can grow it longer that when I was in high school and blow dried it every day. Back then I used cheap shampoos and conditioners too. Now I'm actually trying, and using Fructis.
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
I need pictures of all these fun hair experiments. Remember your plum hair days and then it turned pink. I have pics still of that when we were working at office max. gotta love trying something different with hair. I just chopped mine (even though it was already short) and went more blonde. no one notices;)
Post a Comment