Monday, April 27, 2009

Morning Walk on the Beach



Current mood: chipper

I walked on the beach today. High tide was receding. Black ash chunks from the forest fires had been pushed on shore in a scalloped lace pattern. A tractor raked over it later to smooth the sand out.

I guess 50% of people walking on the beach listen to headphones. i do too now. it helps since i don't have anyone to talk with. i wonder if all the other walkers would rather have someone to talk to. I love walking on the beach. i want to share how good it makes me feel, wish someone could join me. my ipod keeps me company, but it doesn't depend on me or enjoy the beauty & health benefits like humans can.

it's warm enough to wear shorts now. the warm humid air makes the skin feel sticky. it reminds me that my armpits have gotten as fat as my thighs and rub together uncomfortably. i wish for more empty space around me, more freedom of movement.

I walked by a dead bird, belly up. It could have been a pelican or heron, I'm not sure... The tide would nudge it once and a while, seemingly draining it's color. I had to stare at it for a minute. If i had gloves on, i would like to examine it, open it's beak & look inside, see how far i can expand it's wings. it's eyes would ruin it though. It's horrific expression frightened me away.

Live pelicans flew by in a V. before experiencing the beach i never realized how incredibly awesome pelicans are. it's no wonder myrtle beach baseball team is named after them!! they gracefully skim over the water in line, between the breaking waves. Solid dark, the shape of the pelican calls to prehistoric times, so classic.

2 comments:

Lisa P. said...

oh how I could walk on the beach with you:)

heART dacy said...

please do!