breezy Yesterday I picked the boys up from school and took them straight to the beach. As a local, I have learned how to minimize what we take, down to the enjoyment essentials: a chair for me, a sturdy shovel & one bucket for each boy. twas a delightful hour. we couldn't stay much longer, since it was our first official day at the beach. even with sunscreen, i like to acclimate our skin to sun slowly every new summer.
to kids:
rule number one - don't go in the water deeper than your knees.
rule number two - don't pretend you're drowning. (remember the boy who cried wolf?)
other than that, everything went smoothly. no fighting. i love when they get lost in their digging project and dreamily move the sand through their hands. Quiet, except for the roar of the crashing waves and wind.
i love my boys like this. when we all relax and retreat to our own imaginations. i love my boys more an more as they get older, more independent, more easy to communicate with, more intelligent, closer to what they will be like as adults. I don't think I will ever be the sentimental type who wishes them back to infancy. Maybe I will wish them to this day or a few years older, where they still think of me as the most important person in their lives.
the beach is not too crowded yet. it's not too hot either. the sand feels good on bare feet - not burning. the newly beautified beach access is a treasure! it's in an inconspicuous location, so there are lots of places to park. after school, our van with water bottles, snacks and clean clothes is conveniently shaded by a tall hotel right in front of it. perfect.
i think we'll do it again on Tuesday.




No comments:
Post a Comment